Tech question. Virus alert?

Feel free to discuss anything in here. Moderators, please move off topic posts to here. Spam is not welcome here though.

Moderators: Heelexploder, josephine, Alexainheels, minni, Cammile, ambershotheels

Thys

Tech question. Virus alert?

Post by Thys »

As of last week I updated the Lavasoft Adaware program. The pro-version is free for a month so I use it for the time being. But when I tried to visit the forum I got this message. Now, Adaware is not a bogus program that tries to sell you something by giving "fake echos", it's a genuine program with a solid reputation. But I was wondering why the program did not let this site pass the filter.

Answer please?
demand18

Re: Tech question. Virus alert?

Post by demand18 »

Hi,

as far as I understand from the product description (I used to install AdAware, but not any longer), the Shop&Banking module is designed to detect phishing attempts heuristically, i.e. dynamically based on analysis on the fly. When you google for Shop & Bank you will find that there are quite a few false positives out there. So I *believe* that there may be two possible explanations:
1. There is some link somewhere on the mainpage (which AdAware detected) that leads to a believed phishing trap (so the linked content may be the problem rather than the site itself)
2. The heuristic within AdAware believes that there is something phishy (sorry for the word play - coudln't resist) with the main page (seems to me that this is a false positive?)

What you may do is you can use the "Report a false positve" forum to have a Lavasoft guy look into it:

http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.ph ... -positive/

Hope this helps!
Tempic

Re: Tech question. Virus alert?

Post by Tempic »