SPAM SOLUTIONS THREAD

Feel free to discuss anything in here. Moderators, please move off topic posts to here. Spam is not welcome here though.

Moderators: Heelexploder, josephine, Alexainheels, minni, Cammile, ambershotheels

soiled spike stilettos

SPAM SOLUTIONS THREAD

Post by soiled spike stilettos »

i and my husband from Australia love this site, i will be searching for those low life types who send these stupid ridiculous messages that dont even have any direct input to this forum.

this section of the forum is intended for wet and messy shoes, not spam type entries.

this site would'nt be here if it was'nt for all of those great people who created it.

so to those who dont have any thing to say possitive here go else where.
s4e

Post by s4e »

Unfortunately, these spam-entries usually are automatically generated and posted using scripts. So the only way to stop those posts is to implement a "human-check" to the user-registration process so no bot can automatically register and post spam.
only wet sneakers are good sneakers
dirtydids

Post by dirtydids »

s4e wrote:Unfortunately, these spam-entries usually are automatically generated and posted using scripts. So the only way to stop those posts is to implement a "human-check" to the user-registration process so no bot can automatically register and post spam.

EXACTLY.
I had the same problem on the "Guestbook" entries on messymercedes website,inundated with spam, simple solution which took all of 20 mins to install and i'm no expert on these things,a catchpa programme which asks a simple question to answer,to be sure there are about 5 different questions which rotate at random. Not one piece of spam since.

Its so easy i cannot understand why the webmaster here does not implement the same thing.

Its a shame as this is a good website but if things continue like this it may as well shut down as nobody will bother coming here or post anymore.

dids
I Love A Messy Girl
Wetshoe
Site Admin

Post by Wetshoe »

what is the name of the script which rotates the 5 questions?
s4e

Post by s4e »

Here's a page with several captcha scripts to use with phpPB: http://www.matthewleverton.com/howto/ph ... ptcha.html

It might also be a good idea to update the forum system to the newest phpBB version.

I you need help, you can always contact me, I'm happy to help.
only wet sneakers are good sneakers
Sloppyboots

Post by Sloppyboots »

also to help with the spam messages, along with captcha for registering i would also apply one to sending messages, you click post, then fill out the captca then it is posted.
Wetshoe
Site Admin

Post by Wetshoe »

anyone who knows anything about this, please use this thread to discuss strategies to keep the spammers out. do not post anything non-constructive such as "duh, are the mods sleeping?"

does the newest phpbb have anything in it to stop the spam bots?
if not, it may make things worse, as i have made several mods to this version to keep most spambots out.

seems that adding capta to each post would be a nuisance to everyone but may not stop the spam bots since they can get past it.