Urgent question

Any type of shoe abuse. Broken heels, well worn shoes, scuffed shoes, torn shoes, shoes run over by cars, shoes dragged on the ground, crinkled pointy toes, shoes sawed in half, shoes run over by cars, lost shoes, shoe trees, trample, crush, etc. Any other discussion or photos having to do with shoes, boots or other footwear, abused or not, is welcome.

Alle Arten von Schuh-Missbrauch. Abgebrochene Absätze, sehr getragene, abgenutzte, verschlissene, zerissene, überfahrene Schuhe. Schuhe über den Boden gerschliffen, zerknitterte Schuhspitzen, zersägte, plattgetretene, zerquetschte Schuhe, verlorene Schuhe, Schuhbäume etc. Jede andere Diskussion oder Fotos im Zusammenhang mit Schuhen oder Stiefeln oder andere Arten von Schuhen, missbraucht oder nicht, ist willkommen.

Moderators: Heelexploder, josephine, Alexainheels, minni, Cammile, Wetshoegirl, ambershotheels

Professor

Where to get clay

Post by Professor »

Clays are hydrated aluminum silicates that are released when rocks weather away. They are platelet in shape, and not just small diameter. They slip and slide like talc and serpentine, and settle out in flood plains, riverbeds, and coastlines.

Go to a company that installs or services wells. Tell them you want some bentonite or the clay that is packed around a well casing. It should be cheap in in 50 pound or 20kg bags I would expect. Bentonite absorbs 13 times its weight in water, expanding and becoming VERY sticky. Dried bentonite mixed with oil forms greases. It is a great thickener and the most efficient "mud former" you will ever find.

Good Luck!
Mary Jane

Bentonite

Post by Mary Jane »

I did a seach for Bentonite. I found many pages of information. One was it is used in cat litter.

Years ago we bought some cat litter that we would not buy a second time. Reason was it clunped up and formed a very stucky slick ball or lawer.
I had an area that I had thrown cat litter for many years. It was on a hillside and worked to fill in a dip. Dumped the litter a time or two and did not think much about it. Until I had it on shoes. It came off under hard running water and a brush. The litter had to be covered with many inches of dirt or you could not walk on it.

As for the brand I have know idea sorry.

MJG
shoe messer

Post by shoe messer »

Thank you for helping me out,keep those answers for my questions or recommendations for hard-to-clean-off substances to put on shoes coming :) .
Puddleboy

Post by Puddleboy »

Having been around cats all my life, I know what you're talking about. It's the industrial type cat litter that does this. This stuff is not really cat litter, but it looks just like it. It's used mostly by garages to clean up oil spills.

This stuff is very cheap, and I'll guess you could get quite a few pounds of it for a few dollars.

..... pb
Mary Jane

industrial type cat litter

Post by Mary Jane »

Working in shops, the stuff we used cleaned up oils and whatever very well. That was not an industrial type cat litter that you would use in any shop.

It is most likely long gone from any store. It was a non-clumping type that when wet stuck to anything and was very very slick. How do I know. You guessed it. I stepped on some and my feet almost went out from under me.

The cat litters we use now are clumping types that with a lot of water added get sticky but they do not hold the water and become overly slick.

Cost of the cat litter is under $10 for a 20lb. container.
Puddleboy

Post by Puddleboy »

OK. What you were referring to, was most likely some 'off-brand' that doesn't exist anymore.

I do remember some 'off brands' from 40 years ago that just turned everything into mud. They had names like 'Kleen Kitty'.

...... pb
messylaura

Post by messylaura »

ironic i should read this post right now, i use a cheap kitty litter in the garage and its been under the car for a long while and where i have been watering the plants its turned to clay, i moved the car foward to get to some thing
couple of past wet / muddy videos from me
https://www.youtube.com/@abigailbutterfly